Friday, August 12, 2005

Is Yoga for the young and nimble only? Not so, as I found out....

What a surprise...

At first, I thought that Yoga involves bending various parts of the body, hands and legs and that people like me is too old to learn or practise Yoga. I thought that my body, hands and legs would be too stiff and hardened and it would be very painful to take part in Yoga. I can only admire and envy those who are able to enjoy Yoga and its benefits.

One fine morning, after some morning exercise at Yishun Nature Park, my wife and I took our breakfast in Neighbour 4 coffee shop and there we were gathered with some other friends chit chatting away. All are body fit enthusiasts.

In the course of the conversation, my wife and I were surprised to learn from a Yoga practitioner and trainer who informed us that we were not too old to learn as we could choose the various positions to fit our profile. We were informed that Yoga sessions have been going on for free for sometime and we would certainly benefit from the Yoga sessions.

Without wasting any more time, my wife and I head for the sports shop and got one mat each. The next morning come and off we went to Yishun Nature Park to join our Yoga friends, young and old, some even older than us. I was surprised that much older people can do Yoga rather well. Initially, the stretching seems easy but not the various poses which require much flexibility. After a few days of stretching, we found many of our body parts tired and aching. With persistence, we now found Yoga enjoyable and our bodies have become much more nimble and flexible, even at our age.

One clear outcome was the swell in my painful knee joint having subsided completely within a short period and I was able to use the knee as normal.

Most are residents in Yishun with some coming from Thomson Road, Hougang, etc.

We made more friends in the neighbourhood and get to know the neighbourhood even better. My appreciation to the lead trainers who turn up to lead the group in Yoga practices without anything in return...

This is just the beginning. How much benefit/s Yoga will be bring remains to be seen provided my wife and I continue to practice earnestly.

For more information on yoga in yishun, look at this website:-
http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/kys/

No comments: